Tom Cherveny, Forum Communications Co., Published May 06 2010
Bail set at $1 million for Marshall man accused of kidnapping, sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl
District Judge Randall Slieter ordered bail set at $1 million unconditional and $500,000 conditional. If he were to post the $500,000 bail, the conditions include a requirement that he not enter the city limits of Fairfax, where the 14-year-old victim he is accused of sexually assaulting lives.
Renville County Attorney Dave Torgelson cited the “very serious nature of the charges” and risk of flight in asking for the $1 million bail. Assistant Renville County Attorney Glen Jacobsen said after the proceedings that a bail amount of that size is only rarely requested and granted.
Fahey’s first appearance in court follows his apprehension on Tuesday after he allegedly raped the girl around 7 a.m. He allegedly forced her into his car as she delivered newspapers and drove to a cemetery about 10 miles away in Brown County.
The victim escaped after the assault by jumping out of his moving car.
Renville County authorities said they’ve had some contact with Fahey previously for alcohol related offenses, but a case filed last August in Brown County resulted in Fahey being convicted of a misdemeanor indecent exposure charge. The charge was filed after seven different women reported that he had either stalked them or performed lewd actions toward them, Fox News in the Twin Cities reported.
The defendant also has prior convictions for burglary and marijuana possession.
The charges filed in Renville County carry maximum sentences ranging from 30 to 50 years.
Tom Cherveny is a reporter at the West Central Tribune in Willmar, Minn., which is owned by Forum Communications Co.