Published April 29 2010
Winds feed Georgetown fire
Firefighters from Perley, Hendrum and Felton responded to the blaze at 1283 200th Ave. N. shortly after 3 p.m.
Tammy Devier, a neighbor and owner of nearby Northstar Stables, rushed to the blaze, where she knew the homeowners, who were not home when the fire started, stabled their horses.
Devier said she and other employees from the stable were able to get the dozen horses to safety. They then turned their efforts to removing equipment from a nearby shed, fearing the fire could spread, she said.
Firefighters worked for more than an hour to extinguish the flames, which completely consumed two wooden buildings on the land.
County records list the homeowners as Chris and Jessica Bergem.
Clay County Sheriff Bill Bergquist said the blaze likely ignited when manure began smoldering, and winds carried sparks to the nearby buildings.
Manure compost, which naturally generates heat, is a fire concern for many horse owners, Devier said.