« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published April 22 2010

Lit can of hand sanitizer causes minor explosion

A lit can of pressurized hand sanitizer caused a minor explosion and fire at a north Fargo apartment Wednesday evening.

Firefighters responded about 7 p.m. to a call from a passing motorist who said she saw flames along the side of a vacant rental property at 1102 7th St. N.

The flames were already extinguished when authorities arrived, but there was minor damage to the siding on the north side of the house, said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Balstad.

Neighbors said they heard a loud noise but didn’t see anyone near the home at the time of the fire, Balstad said.

He said though the incident was likely a prank, it is still criminal arson and could have caused significant damage had passers-by not called authorities.