Published March 31 2010
Deadline today for West Fargo superintendent applicationsWest Fargo students, staff and community members recently told school officials to find a superintendent with Midwest ties.
And so far, several Minnesota and North Dakota superintendents have applied for the school district’s top spot.
As of Tuesday evening, 14 applicants had completed their paperwork to the district, Human Resources Director Robin Hill said.
She added that a total of 32 people have submitted their names, but not all had completed the materials.
The deadline to apply is midnight today.
According to the district, the applicants so far are:
- Allen Burgad, superintendent of Northern Cass Schools in Hunter, N.D.
- Kinberly Burger, trainee in Modesto, Calif.
- Stacey Cooper, principal of Malabar Middle School in Mansfield, Ohio.
- Arla Dockter, former superintendent of Sleepy Eye (Minn.) School District.
- Paul Durand, superintendent of Winona (Minn.) Area Public Schools.
- Thomas Graves, assistant superintendent of Washington County Public Schools in Abingdon, Va.
- Diane Gross, assistant superintendent of Haysville School District in Haysville, Kan.
- Tom Hisiro, director of graduate studies at Bethel University in McKenzie, Tenn.
- Anne Lundquist, principal consultant at McREL in Denver.
- Tamara Schultz, director of curriculum in West Central Education District, Sauk Centre, Minn.
- Jamie Skjeveland, superintendent of Crosby-Ironton Schools in Crosby, Minn.
- Rod Thompson, superintendent of St. Anthony/New Brighton Schools in St. Anthony, Minn.
- Jim Torkelson, former elementary principal in Grand Forks.
- Tamara Uselman, superintendent of Perham-Dent Schools in Perham, Minn.
“I thought that some were excellent,” Board Vice President Karen Nitzkorski said of applicants.
On Monday, the school board will select several finalists to interview. They plan to make an offer to one by early May.
Nitzkorski said the number of applicants is comparable to the district’s last superintendent search in 2006.
The district hired Dana Diesel Wallace then from a Raleigh, N.C., school district. After four years as West Fargo’s superintendent, she announced her resignation in December, citing new opportunities.
A new district leader will start July 1, and earn a salary ranging from $140,000 to $160,000.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Kelly Smith at (701) 241-5515