Published March 18 2010
Oakport Township roads may close todayGreg Anderson, chairman of the Oakport Township board, shared the following updates:
- Wall Street, which runs east and west through Oakport, will likely be closed sometime today. The road typically goes underwater at the 34-foot flood stage. A 34.1-foot flood stage is predicted by 7 p.m. today.
- As main roads in and around the township close, residents and people with a specific reason to be there will need passes to gain access into Oakport.
- The sewer system on the west side will be turned off this morning as the river reaches and surpasses a 33-foot level. At that time, a CodeRED alert will be issued and people will be required to limit their water use.
- The Minnesota National Guard is ready to guard pumps and patrol dikes in the area.
- The township actually has a surplus of sandbags.