« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Jeff Kolpack, Published March 17 2010

FLOOD UPDATE: North Fargo calm, confident with latest flood fight

His “WDAY Flood Watch ‘97” lime green cap on his head, Mark McCourt surveyed the lines of kids, the quickness of skid steer loaders and the rising Red River in the distance.

One thing was missing from last year: organized chaos.

“Unfortunately, we’ve become experts at this,” McCourt said.

The flood-fighting ambiguity of his Woodcrest Drive cul de sac of a year earlier was replaced on Wednesday with a sense of calm and confidence. For one, most residents only had to sandbag about a foot high – about three times less than last year.

For another, about 650 students and 30 staff members from Fargo North in 10 busses came ready for action.

“Fargo would be lost without the high school and college students,” said Mary Jane Dickson, who has lived at her South Woodcrest Drive house since 1970.