Forum staff reports, Published March 16 2010
FLOOD UPDATE: Moorhead delivering sandbags to vulnerable properties along Red RiverMOORHEAD - The city of Moorhead is delivering filled sandbags to vulnerable properties along the river. Homeowners are encouraged to contact any member of their Zone Team to request sandbag delivery. Volunteers can also contact the call center at (218) 299-5300.
For empty sandbags, residents are asked to contact the call center at 218-299-5300. For sand, homeowners can order loose sand from private sand suppliers and be reimbursed by the city. A city reimbursements form and original invoices are required for reimbursement.
The city will deliver and place 10 and 20 foot sections of plastic within each zone.
Moorhead officials also reported that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers continues to construct clay dikes. Current areas include:
- Heritage Hjemkomst Center.
- North and South of I-94 at Rivershore Drive South and Dale Avenue South.
- Elm Street and Fourth Avenue South.
Traffic routing and parking will be disrupted by this effort.
Current road closures are:
- Toll bridge at 15th Avenue North,
- Third Street South from approximately downtown through Woodlawn Park.
- Rvershore Drive South under the I-94 bridge.
It is anticipated that First Avenue North will close from approximately Eighth Street to the Red River bridge sometime on Wednesday.