Published January 30 2010
Police urge safety after string of storage theftsBurglars have hit four storage-space complexes in Fargo in the past month, prompting police to release crime prevention steps for self-storage tenants.
Sgt. Mark Lykken said the thefts were from Dec. 30 to Jan. 15, with locks to 17 separate units being cut. A rash of burglaries such as that typically points to one person or group of people being responsible, he said.
The police department suggests these theft-prevention tips:
- Always use a quality lock to secure the unit. A disc-style lock is preferred.
- Keep an updated inventory of valuables in the unit that includes identifying information, such as the brand and the model and serial numbers.
- Make sure there is adequate light outside the unit and contact the manager if there isn’t.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.
- Enroll in Operation ID, a free police program to safeguard your property by engraving it with an individualized ID number.
To enroll, call the Fargo Police Department at (701) 235-4493.