« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Keith Norman, Forum Communications Co., Published January 18 2010

No one injured in Jamestown elevator fire

JAMESTOWN, N.D. – No one was injured in a small grain dryer fire at an elevator here Monday morning, authorities say.

The fire at Reimers Elevator was reported at 8 a.m. and 29 firefighters were on scene for about 90 minutes, said Jamestown Fire Department Deputy Chief Jerry Kainz.

He said the fire caused little damage to the structure.

“The owner called right away,” he said. “We stood by in case there was a flare up.”

The fire was found in smoldering corn at the top of the grain dryer unit. Kainz said the burning corn was removed from the dryer while the rest of the corn was monitored as it was moved to trucks.

A bushel of corn was lost in the fire.

Keith Norman is a reporter at The Jamestown (N.D.) Sun, which is owned by Forum Communications Co.