« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published December 30 2009

Minnesota swine flu deaths rise one in past week to 52

ST. PAUL (AP) — The death toll from the swine flu pandemic has risen to 52 in Minnesota after a week of decreasing virus activity.

A Minnesota Department of Health spokesman said the latest victim was a Hennepin County resident in his or her 50s. No more information was released other than the victim had been hospitalized with underlying health conditions.

In the agency's weekly update Wednesday, the health department said there were fewer influenza-like illness visits to clinics that keep special tabs on the outbreak. There were no swine flu outbreaks reported at schools or long-term care facilities.

There have been 1,834 confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu that have required hospitalization in Minnesota since the virus was first identified in the state.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.