« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Brad E. Scholossman, Published November 29 2009

College hockey: Bemidji St. loses in OT to Ohio State

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – Bemidji State’s formula to a fast start this season was playing on edge, taking advantage of opportunities and making the most of fortunate bounces.

The Beavers had none of that during a 2-1 overtime loss to Ohio State on Saturday afternoon in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Kyle Reed scored 48 seconds into the extra period to hand Bemidji State its second loss of the season. Even though the Beavers had a golden opportunity to win the game moments before with Matt Read alone in the slot, Beaver coach Tom Serratore wasn’t pleased with his team’s performance.

“It was a very vanilla game,” he said. “We had a boatload of turnovers, we didn’t manage the puck very well. Again, I hope that’s out of our system. You’re not going to win many games playing that way.”

Bemidji State, 11-2-1 overall, had a great start to the weekend, knocking off the country’s No. 1 team, Miami-Ohio. But they ended the Subway Holiday Classic by falling to an unranked Ohio State team that was playing on short rest. The Buckeyes played the night game on Friday, falling to UND 4-1.

“As a coach, I think we should be fired up for every game,” Serratore said. “I realize that it doesn’t happen that way. There’s no excuse. It was a game that had no emotion and no intensity. Quite honestly, I was hoping to get out of there with a tie.

“Those games are tough to coach and I’m sure they are difficult games to watch.”

The announced attendance was 11,241, but the actual number of people in Ralph Engelstad Arena for the matinee was about closer to a quarter of that total. They watched the Beavers post a 1-0 lead in the first period and allow Ohio State to tie it up in the second.

Darcy Findlay and Aaron McLeod connected for a Beaver goal late in the first period. Defenseman Ryan Adams sent the puck along the boards and into the corner, where Findlay picked it up and swept it to the slot for McLeod. The freshman fourth-liner snapped it past Ohio State goalie Cal Heeter (20 saves) with 2 minutes, 31 seconds left in the opening frame.

Ohio State tied it with 2:21 left in the second period when Devon Krogh carried the puck in the zone on a four-on-three rush. Krogh fired a shot from the right wing off of the far pad of goalie Mathieu Dugas

(24 saves). Dugas kicked the rebound to the top of the crease, where Ian Boots picked it up and scored his first goal of the season.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, BSU, McLeod (Findlay, Adams) 17:29.

SECOND PERIOD: 2, OSU, Boots (Krogh, Duddy) 17:39.

THIRD PERIOD: No scoring.

OVERTIME: 3, OSU, Reed (Albert, Duddy) :48

SAVES: BSU, Dugas 5-8-8-3–24. OSU, Heeter 4-7-8-1–20.

Brad E. Schlossman is a writer for The Grand Forks Herald, which is owned by Forum Communications Co.