Michael A. Ross, Published November 25 2009
Political correctness infects ignorant youth of the nationIn 1971 Graham Nash wrote and sang “military madness was killing my country.” Nearly four decades later, that same madness is still raging out of control, but an even more deadly killer stalks our land in the new millennium. This is a dread disease known as political correctness, and it is notably ravaging America’s youth.
- High schoolers work to “Fill the Dome” with canned food to fight hunger. Last month many of the same slept out in cardboard boxes on a church lawn to raise awareness of homelessness. Concurrently our military intervention has displaced (made homeless) 4 million in Iraq. Will any of this food go to them?
- Hundreds of area residents march “Out of the Darkness” to raise awareness of suicide. Meanwhile 10,000 Iraq and Afghanistan vets have taken their own lives, twice the number actually killed in these two illegal wars.
- A baby is taken away by Child Protective Services as his single mom is deployed to Afghanistan. An Iraq vets group estimates that 30,000 single parents have been so deployed since 2001. Most of these joined the military out of financial desperation. Where is the pro-war religious right on this “family values” matter?
A hotbed of antiwar protest during Vietnam, surely college campuses are abuzz with tumult these days. With 5,000 of their own having come home in boxes and 30,000 wounded, many of these maimed for life, not to mention 2 million dead in foreign lands, just what are the hot-button issues on the college front these days?
- Two hundred students rally in support of a criminal North Dakota State University president who has lavished hundreds of thousands of dollars of donated money on himself.
- A campus group campaigns against texting while driving, encouraging students to take a pledge not to do so over the holidays.
- The North Dakota State University Spectrum reports: “This fall the student government has set out to make the entire campus smoke-free.” Not to be outdone, the University of North Dakota student Senate has voted in favor of a resolution to retire an “offensive logo.”
Certainly radicalization can be overdone, but so can conformity. The establishment media, the public schools and the pabulum church are succeeding in producing a generation of philosophical zombies who won’t stand up for anything substantive. Only 12 percent of Americans ages 18-24 can even find Afghanistan on a map. Ignorance is why rulers get away with crimes.
Political correctness is the madness that is killing our country today. Of hypocrites that obsess with their own righteous deeds, Christ said: “They strain out a gnat and swallow a camel” (Matthew 23:24).
Is this predictive of America’s future? God help us.