« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published September 18 2009

Minnesota dog dead after exposed to algae

ST. PAUL - The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is warning animal owners about the dangers of toxic blue-green algae.

The agency says a dog died Sunday hours after swimming in Martin County's Fox Lake, which had algae ``blooms.' It was the season's first animal death attributed to the algae.

MPCA staff have collected water samples at Fox Lake, with results pending.

The agency says human deaths from exposure to blue-green algae are rare, but health effects can include skin irritations and nausea. Young children are more susceptible than adults.

Copyright & copy; 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.