Jason Miller, Published September 16 2009
Miller column: Forum sports staff takes to the airwavesWe certainly have the faces for radio, but not necessarily the voices.
Despite that, The Forum’s sports staff will be featured Monday-Friday on our very own radio show.
Beginning next week, we will be able to be heard live on “Sports Talk” on WDAY-AM 970 from 1-2 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Here’s the cast of Forum Communications characters you’ll hear from day to day:
- Sports reporter Kerry Collins, a Chicago Bears nut who loves Jay Cutler and hates Brett Favre. Don’t get him started on No. 4, who he calls “a broken down old man.”
- Sports reporter Heath Hotzler, the only guy on staff who has a face for television. He knows his sports, too.
- Sports reporter Jeff Kolpack, the man who’s been on the North Dakota State University beat since sometime around the Great Depression.
- Sports reporter Kevin Schnepf, the level-headed elder statesman of the show.
- Sports reporter Eric Peterson, the guy who knows everyone in Fargo-Moorhead and has an encyclopedic knowledge of where current professional athletes attended college.
- Assistant sports editor Hayden Goethe, the Twins nut who once applauded the team’s acquisition of Tony Batista.
- Sports copy editor Tom Mix, the kid who is even nuttier about the Twins and would vote for Joe Mauer if he ran for president.
- Sports copy editor Dan Haglund, the Minnesotan who overflows with Purple Pride and also loves the Twins.
- Yours truly, the guy who plays 50 rounds of golf a year and still can’t figure the game out.
- And last but not least, there's WDAY Radio's Scott Miller, famous for his, "My, oh my," phrase during F-M RedHawks and North Dakota State broadcasts.
But back to the show.
Anything and everything sports-related is on the table.
We’ll take calls. We’ll ramble. We’ll argue with each other. We’ll argue with callers.
Our goal is to discuss what you are talking about from the wide world of sports.
We’re taking over part of the slot currently filled by financial guru Dave Ramsey.
None of us are qualified to give financial advice, but if any of you Ramsey fans out there want to call in, we’ll do our best.
We won’t let you yell, “We’re debt free,” but we’ll let you yell at us.
The number to call is (701) 293-9000.
Readers can reach Forum Sports Editor Jason Miller at (701) 451-5651 or firstname.lastname@example.org