Sherri Richards, Published September 06 2009
Area festivals turn into fall celebrationsAs summer fades and leaves change, area celebrations take on the flavor of fall, such as the 14th Annual Sunflower Festival in Enderlin, N.D.
The weeklong festival, Sept. 13-20, pays homage to the sunflower, with sunflower recipe contests, a Lil’ Miss and Mr. Sunflower Pageant, the golden sunflower search and largest sunflower head contest.
An opening concert featuring Monroe Crossing will be held at 7 p.m. Sept. 13 in the Enderlin Auditorium.
Midweek events include a bean cook-off, magic show, fishing derby, duck race and fish fry.
The recipe contest will be Sept. 18, along with an open house at the museum, comedy show at the city auditorium, trivia contest and street dance.
Most events will happen Sept. 19, including a pancake breakfast, quilt show, 5k and 10k run-walk, softball tournament, car show, parade, turkey supper and street dance.
For more information, call (701) 437-2250 or visit http://enderlinnd.com.
Here are some other area festivals and events happening through the end of September:
- Greater Moorhead Days, Friday through Sept. 18. Community celebration includes medallion hunt, parade, bocce challenge, car show and kids games. Call (218) 299-5340 or visit www.cityofmoorhead.com/parks.
- Harwood (N.D.) Community Days, Saturday. Celebration includes pancake breakfast, bingo, car show, parade, pulled-pork dinner, family luau and dance. Call (701) 281-0314 for information.
- Big Iron Farm Show, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 15-17, Red River Valley Fairgrounds, West Fargo. Annual event includes more than 800 agricultural exhibitors. For details, call (701) 282-2200 or visit www.bigironfarmshow.com.
- Georgetown, Minn., Sesquicentennial Celebration, Sept. 18-20. Commemorative oak tree will be planted at 1 p.m. Sept. 19. Other events include catered meals, vintage style show, parade, dances, school reunion, buggy rides, antique tractor display, flea market, food vendors and historical displays. Call (218) 790-6056.
- WestFest, Sept. 19-20, West Fargo. Annual community celebration includes pancake breakfast, parade, softball tournament, car show, carnival, and Harvest Fest at Bonanzaville. For details, call (701) 282-4444 or visit www.westfargochamber.
- Aber Days, Sept. 19-20, Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site, Abercrombie, N.D. Activities include parade, Dutch oven cook-off, Boy Scout pioneering skill demonstrations, living history presentations and flag raising and lowering ceremonies. Call (701) 553-8513.
- Fall Festival, Sept. 19-20 and Sept. 26-27, Rheault Farm, 2902 25th St. S., Fargo. Autumn celebration includes crafts, carnival games, straw bale maze, pumpkin patch and barrel train rides. Call (701) 241-8160 or visit www.fargoparks.com.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Sherri Richards at (701) 241-5556