« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published July 31 2009

Silence to mark I-35W bridge collapse second anniversary

MINNEAPOLIS – Flags will fly at half-staff and a moment of silence will be held on the two-year anniversary of the Minneapolis bridge collapse.

The offices of Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak announced the touches Thursday for the coming Aug. 1. The moment of silence will be at 6:05 p.m. Saturday.

Pawlenty has proclaimed it “Interstate 35W Bridge Memorial Day.”

The mayor’s office said earlier this week that there wouldn’t be an official event for the public, first responders and families of the 13 killed and 145 injured.

The collapse of the Mississippi River bridge shed light on aging infrastructure nationwide. Investigators said poor design was to blame.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.