Sherri Richards, Published June 28 2009
July Fourth festivals abound in areaMinnesota State University Moorhead will salute the “Home of the Brave” for the 37th year Saturday.
MSUM’s annual Fourth of July Celebration has been scaled back this year with no afternoon events. But its evening lineup features music, games, parades and fireworks.
The annual Patriotic Parade starts at 7 p.m. A decorated bike parade starts at 7:30 p.m.
Inflatable games will be set up at Nemzek Hall and Stadium from 7 to 10:15 p.m.
The Lake Agassiz Concert Band performs there at 7:30 p.m., followed by the Front Fenders at 8:30 p.m.
A 15-minute patriotic program, titled “Home of the Brave,” begins at 9:30 p.m., followed by more from the Front Fenders. The fireworks display starts at 10:30 p.m.
There is also a 10K run and kid trot at 8 a.m. Saturday.
Parking is available in all regular spaces on campus. For more information, visit www.mnstate.edu.
Other Independence Day celebrations around the region include:
- Old Fashioned Fourth of July Family Festival, 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Otter Tail County Historical Society, 1110 Lincoln Ave. W., Fergus Falls, Minn. Festival features kids parade, games, food, music and contests. Call (218) 736-6038 for details.
- Fort Ransom (N.D.) Fourth of July Jackpot Rodeo, Friday and Saturday. Rodeos will be held at 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Ransom Arena. A parade will be at 11 a.m. Saturday and street dance Saturday night on Main Street. Call (701) 973-4811 or visit www.ransomcountynd.com for details.
- Sertoma Fourth of July, Saturday, downtown Grand Forks, N.D. Activities include kids parade at 11:30 a.m., opening ceremonies at 12:45 p.m., followed by games, entertainment, food, and a fireworks show at 10:30 p.m. For more information, call (701) 746-0052 or visit www.gfsertoma.com.
- Walker’s Old Fashioned Fourth of July, Saturday, Walker, Minn. Parades start at 2 p.m., and games and prizes in the park from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Other events include fish fry and beer garden, live entertainment and fireworks show at dark. Call (218) 547-1313 or visit http://leech-lake.com.
- Fireworks Display, 10:15 p.m. Saturday, City Beach, Detroit Lakes, Minn. Call (218) 847-9202 or go to www.visitdetroitlakes.com.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Sherri Richards at (701) 241-5556