Sherri Richards, Published June 14 2009
Aneta hosts annual turkey festivalTurkey is the talk of Aneta, N.D., this week.
At about 10 a.m. Saturday, volunteers will begin roasting 280 birds for the 49th Annual Summer Festival and Turkey Barbecue.
The turkey and trimmings – make that chips and baked beans – will be served from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Aneta City Park.
The weekend’s festivities kick off with a pancake breakfast from 7 to 10 a.m. Saturday at the Sundahl Lutheran Church. The arts and crafts show, featuring about 40 vendors, runs noon to 8 p.m. A kiddie parade is at 3 p.m.
Composer and music instructor Neil Olson of Aneta will perform at 1 p.m. in the auditorium. Music will also be performed during the barbecue.
Two dances will follow at the Whitetail Bar and the Aneta American Legion.
An All Faiths Service will be held in the park at 10 a.m. June 21.
For more information, call (701) 326-4235.
Here are other festivals happening in the region this week:
- Turtle Fest, Wednesday through June 21, Perham, Minn. Events include train rides, turtle races, parade, sports tournaments, demolition derby, street dances, food and craft vendors. (218) 346-7710. www.perham.com.
- Happy Days Festival, Thursday through Saturday, Main Street, Lisbon, N.D. Community celebration includes steak fry, games, pancake breakfast, parade, street dance and citywide rummage sale. Call (701) 683-5680 for more information or visit www.lisbonnd.com.
- Midwest Kids Fest, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Island Park, Fargo. Music, carnival games and 30 interactive educational booths. Teddy Bear Parade at 10:30 a.m. at Dike West. Call (701) 241-8160 for more information or visit www.fargoparks.com.
- International Friendship Festival, Friday and Saturday, Pelican Rapids, Minn. Multicultural event includes music, dance, games, arts, crafts and food. Call (218) 863-1221 for more information or visit www.pelicanrapids
- Out House Races, 1 p.m. Saturday, Georgetown, Minn. Teams of three race for the fastest out house, most original potty and powder puff. Part of Hudson Bay Days. Call (218) 790-6056 for more info.
- Hay Daze, Saturday, 125th anniversary celebration in Elizabeth, Minn. Events include noon softball game, parade at 3 p.m., music at the Silver Dollar Saloon beginning at 6 p.m. Visit www.silverdollar
saloon.info for more details.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Sherri Richards at (701) 241-5556