By Jason Miller, Published May 26 2009
Miller: Bison’s D-I wins surprise, impressThis is what I’m thinking about as I ponder how Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire could fill out a lineup card without the words “Joe” and “Mauer” on it:
- I think North Dakota State’s transition to Division I has been nothing short of spectacular. Big-time wins in basketball, football, and now, softball. I don’t think Athletic Director Gene Taylor could have even envisioned things going this well when the Bison made the move.
- I think NDSU’s run in softball this season was as impressive as the marquee basketball and football victories over Wisconsin, Marquette and Minnesota. The softball team’s success won’t provide the same amount of exposure for the university as those other victories, but it ranks just as high as an athletic achievement.
- I think Division I hockey at Minnesota State Moorhead is probably not going to happen. That’s too bad because it’s one way Athletic Director Doug Peters could put Dragon athletics on the map. There will always be a bigger football or basketball show in town, but D-I (specifically WCHA) hockey would give Dragon athletics a huge boost.
- I think MSUM sports information director Larry Scott attending more than 400 consecutive Dragon football games is almost as big of a feat as Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak or Cal Ripken’s consecutive games streak. Those three feats are all untouchable.
- I think I feel bad for Edgewood Golf Course superintendent Mark Lindberg and head professional Greg McCullough. A great season in 2008 with little to no flooding was followed by the flood of the century in 2009. How about two decent years in a row for the boys up north?
- I think I need to apologize to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King for this column.
- I think the Twins need to lock up Mauer to a long-term deal as soon as possible. With the way he’s hitting, he’s going to demand Alex Rodriguez money really soon. Now that the side-burned wonder has added power to his arsenal, it’s going to be hard for the small-market Twinkies to come up with the cash the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox will throw his way if he hits the open market.
- I think the Minnesota Timberwolves should take Davidson’s Stephen Curry with the sixth pick in the NBA draft. Corey Brewer and Kevin Love aren’t going to get casual fans to watch a Timberwolves game. Curry would at least make the team somewhat interesting. While they’re at it, I think the Wolves should be the first team to give Ben Woodside a shot. At least he’d put some butts in the seats.
- I think the Minnesota Vikings need a healthy Brett Favre. The Vikings missed out by not getting Matt Cassel or Jay Cutler. With Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson running the offense, the team will miss the playoffs. And I think that would be bad news for Brad Childress.
Forum Sports Editor Jason Miller can reached at (701) 451-5651 or firstname.lastname@example.org