Forum staff reports, Published May 21 2009
Maris tournament adds Helling, four othersFormer major league baseball players Bernie Allen, Rick Helling, Jim Kaat, Ken Sanders and Roy Sievers will join the field for the 26th annual Roger Maris Celebrity Benefit Golf Tournament.
- A Fargo American Legion alum, Helling played with five clubs in his 12 years and finished with a 93-81 career record.
- Allen played 12 years with the Minnesota Twins, Washington Senators, New York Yankees and Montreal Expos.
- Kaat pitched 25 years including with the Twins and ended with 283 lifetime victories.
- Sanders was primarily a relief pitcher finishing with 86 saves in 10 years and a 2.98 career ERA.
- Sievers was a power-hitting first baseman for 17 seasons with the St. Louis Browns, Senators, Chicago White Sox and Philadelphia Phillies. He was the American League’s Rookie of the Year in 1949.