Dave Olson, Published April 22 2009
Moorhead fire a mystery; high-schoolers praised for quick thinkingMOORHEAD – Moorhead High School seniors Zach Mithun and Andrew Nord were driving back to school after lunch this afternoon when they noticed grass on fire in the yard of a home belonging to Kathy Steinkuehler.
When they stopped at 3006 Village Green Drive to take a closer look, it was then they noticed not only the yard on fire, but the corner of the house was smoldering as well.
They knocked on the door and Steinkuehler, who had been napping, answered the door. She then called the fire department.
Steinkuehler said she was grateful for the boys and their prompt response to the danger. She said she would not otherwise have been aware of the fire.
Firefighters examined the yard and inspecting the corner of the home in an attempt to ascertain what happened, but the cause of the fire was not immedately apparent.
The damage was contained to the corner of the house.