« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Lee Morris, Published July 26 2008

Montana man injured in Moorhead Super 8 fire

A small fire early Saturday at Moorhead’s Super 8 Motel sent a Montana man to the hospital after he suffered minor burns, according to a news release.

Moorhead police assisted the Fire Department at the motel, 3621 8th St. S., where they found smoke and a small fire about 2:45 a.m. in a second-story room.

Firefighters put out the fire, which is thought to have begun with a malfunctioning ceiling vent fan. There was minor damage to the building, said John Isaacson, the motel’s general manager.

Isaacson said the Montana man and his wife were staying at the hotel but would not release any other information.

Moorhead police Lt. Brad Penas said the man was injured when he was trying to escape the fire and he stepped on melted plastic that fell out of the ceiling, likely from the fan.

Penas said the man was taken to Innovis Health in Fargo. An Innovis supervisor said he knew of no one there with injuries related to the fire.

About 100 occupants of the motel’s two floors and 50 rooms were evacuated during the fire, but later returned to their rooms, Isaacson said.