« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published July 18 2008

Trial for 16-year-old Sergei Carlson accused of killing his sister moved to Bismarck

FARGO - The trial of a teenager accused of killing his sister last July has been moved from Fargo to Bismarck.

A hearing notice filed Thursday in the case of 16-year-old Sergei Isaac Carlson shows that jury selection will begin Sept. 15 at the Burleigh County Courthouse in Bismarck.

Earlier this month, Judge John Irby agreed to relocate the trial but denied a defense request to remove himself from the case.

Carlson’s attorney had requested the relocation of the trial and the removal of Irby, citing a meeting attorneys had with Irby during which he implied the only plea deal he’ll accept is one carrying a life sentence with the possibility of parole.

In May, Irby rejected a deal that called for Carlson , 16, to serve 30 years for the death of his 16-year-old sister, Whitney. Irby said it offered no guarantee of Carlson’s rehabilitation.

Irby has since said he will keep an open mind regarding any potential sentencing.

Carlson lived with his father in Sun Prairie, Wis., but was visiting his family in Fargo last July when his sister was killed. Carlson told police he “strangled her with his hands and placed pillows over her face to muffle her sounds” and indicated he engaged in sexual contact with her after she had died, according to Cass County District Court documents.